Download PaperStone® Finish Guide
Step-by-step instructions for applying finish to your PaperStone® project
Surface preparation options – before applying finish
PaperStone® panels have a pleasing, natural micro- textured surface and can be used as is. However, the surface can also be prepared to the degree of smoothness desired with a medium grit non-woven abrasive pad, such as a Maroon 7447 Scotch-Brite™ pad. Or, for an extremely smooth surface, it can be sanded and buffed. The final appearance of the panel will of course vary based on the choice of surface preparation technique. (Refer to Step 11 in the Fabricate & Install Guide for preparation instructions and examples of the look achieved with the various surface preparation techniques.)
Surface finishes for PaperStone®
It is recommended that fabricated PaperStone® countertops be finished and sealed to obtain the best appearance and protect the surface from staining by household products such as cooking oils, marinades, make-up, cleaners, etc. PaperStone® may also be installed without any finish for a matte look, but will be prone to spotting or staining.
While any oil-based or wax-based wood finish may be applied to PaperStone®, we recommend OSMO® TopOil as an easy to apply, long-lasting, durable finish that is based on natural vegetable oils and waxes. It deepens the tone of the panel and adds a soft luster to the appearance. TopOil is a micro-porous clear, matte wood finish for kitchen work tops and general interior joinery (table tops and furniture). The TopOil surface is extremely tough and hard-wearing. It is water and dirt-resistant. The finish is also resistant to wine, beer, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juices and milk, etc. Dirt can easily be removed. And, as an oil-based finish, it can be spot repaired if necessary.
OSMO® TopOil Application on PaperStone®
Use lint-free cloths to apply OSMO® TopOil to PaperStone®; to avoid streaks do not use a brush. It is important to wipe away all excess oil as the PaperStone® will not absorb it. Keep changing cloths and wiping until you cannot see fingerprints. TopOil will require 2-3 coats, with sufficient drying time after each coat.
We recommend spraying on a coat of The Original Bee’s Wax® furniture polish to provide further surface protection after the final application of OSMO® TopOil is cured. The Original Bee’s Wax® may also be reapplied weekly or more frequently as a maintenance coat. The surface shouldn’t show fingerprints and it doesn’t leave a wax build-up.
Detailed Finish Application Steps
Fabricate the PaperStone® countertop in accordance with the Fabricate & Install Guide
You may choose to prepare the countertop surface and edges in the shop prior to installing the countertop, or you may install the countertop first and then prepare the surfaces. The steps to prepare the surface and apply the finish are as follows:
- Sand the exposed countertop edges with 180 grit sandpaper, followed by 240 grit sandpaper.
- Prepare the countertop surface with chosen option A or B.
- Clean surface with water (or denatured alcohol) and allow to dry after each sanding step.
- DO NOT touch the prepared surface with bare hands prior to finish being applied.
- Once the surface is clean, dry and free of any dust, apply a coat of the OSMO® TopOil to the installed countertop using a soft, clean cloth. Rub the finish into all exposed areas, spreading evenly and generously in a circular motion to ensure consistent coverage.
- Wipe off excess finish; then continue buffing with clean cloths or towels. Buffing should continue until finish no longer changes appearance. Keep changing cloths and wiping until you can no longer see fingerprints when the surface is touched.
- Allow first coat to dry at least two hours.
- Apply a second coat of the TopOil and allow to sit overnight to fully cure prior to use (at least 8 -10 hours).
- After the final coat of OSMO® TopOil is cured, spray on a liberal amount of The Original Bee’s Wax®. Wipe onto the entire surface, ensuring it is spread evenly. Then wipe off the excess using a soft, clean cloth towel until the appearance of the surface no longer changes. Allow to dry for a few minutes. The surface should not show fingerprints when touched.
- Refer to the PaperStone® Care & Maintenance Guide for usage, cleaning and maintenance guidelines.